Uganda Well Projects Update #4
We are working to conclude projects 2 & 3. Both have been a tremendous success. With current funding we have provided water to two communities with a capacity of almost 5000 people. Total cost will be around $21,000 in total for projects, or a cost of $4.20 per person affected!
If we raise $4500, we can expand the first well to have a production pump supported by a solar charging station, allowing another 14,000 people to have water in the surrounding communities. This would mean $3.11 per person. Please pass the message on to friends.
I have also looked into community training and education. The LCs and water council for each community will be invited— for all thee boreholes. This is being arranged by our friends at ADT.
Each of the three communities will be trained in the following aspects:
1. Finances surrounding the borehole (Collecting UGX 1,000 per family per month)
2. Record keeping
3. Mechanics of the borehole
4. Maintenance of Borehole and Spill Plate
- Yield- 7800 Liters per Hour max; with our hand pump it is around 1300 Liters per hour. This is enough for 2600 people.
- Recovery rate after 3 hours of test pumping was 99% recovery within 1 hour. This well will be healthy for a VERY long time.
- The casting for this well is completed and the pump will be mounted today.
- The photo of the spill plate with numbering and Global H2O press was posted last night on FB
- Use of the well on a daily basis to begin after a week.
- The well functions— I have seen it and will get photos today.
- Two signs will be installed today as well (one on the highway, one by the well with all the sponsors names)
- This is the site where the equipment broke down and is still there.
- Yesterday drilling finished and the drillers yield (an approximation) is approximately 1600 Liters per hour (last I checked).
- Today is test pumping and casting. I will get an accurate read on yield, recovery etc there, however, I dont believe that this site requires additional investment for the yield was not nearly as good as project 2. This doesnt mean that it was not successful. This borehole will also last for a very long time as the yield is very strong for a hand pump. I believe that it will be able to serve 2000 people, when all is said and done.
- We will also put up 2 signs; one for the highway and one by the pump.
Thanks to all of our sponsors! Every bit great and small counts!